Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Remember

I remember
A big white balloon
That flew to the sky
Standing under the moon
Arms open to embrace the night
Strange looks and mutterings
Sliding off us like water on glass

I remember
The soft hiss of rain driving others in
But imploring us to dance
Darting laughter
And stolen kisses
Arms around my waist
And promises in my ear
An inky sky that covered all
So we couldn’t see anyone watching.

I remember
Running so far and so fast
From the light that yells STOP
The beats of our hearts
Faster than the many footfalls
Fear lying in wait beyond the next corner
And running faster than the rest to escape it.

I remember
Weary feet and weary hearts
Only noticed as the night began to fade
Wet shoes and wet faces
Ignored until the lampposts showed the truth
Fears and scoldings put off until tomorrow
And tomorrow coming all too soon
Bringing the day

I remember
A dark night with pinpricks of light
Tucked away in the folds
Of a blanket of sky
Those bright echoes of laughter
Safely cloaked in the night.

But memories fade and I didn’t bring a camera.

No comments: