Friday, July 13, 2007

A Dancing Fool...Literally

Tonight is the freshman year dance. A big, cool dance so I should be excited, right? I don't think so.
I went shopping for it anyway, even though I said I wouldn't b going. A beautiful sparkly white dress, that shimmered before you're very eyes, but you knew all too well that it had a drak side as well. The inside turned out to be black. Now let's recap on why I'm so reluctant on going and how I ended up here...
"Hey!" It was Sara.
"Oh hi...what's up?"
"well, you're going to the dance, right?"
"I don't know, I mean maybe."
"Maybe?!"
"Yeah."
"Why?"
"Cause...I can't dance."
"You can't dance?!"
"Yeah."
"Ah, that's easy, I'll teach you! Now let's go shopping!"
So, alas, here I was.
We arrived at Sara's house, which had been cleared of sofas.
"Um...what happened?"
"we need room to dance now don't we?"
Sara definitely surprised me at times.
"Let's start out simple with the waltz."
She put her hands on my hips and I jumped backward, obviously shaken my her aggresiveness. She gave me a questioning look and when realizing why I had done that, calmly explained her reasons. I eased my hands into place and relaxed. It turned out pretty easy and from there we did the tango, ballroom dancing, the jig, etc. She said I was making great progress and suddenly we came to a hault. I felt oddly disoriented; we were coming up on dancing in today's style, here in Connecticut.
Small beads of sweat appeared and I slowly put my arms arounf her neck. I followed her lead and we slow-danced for a while. Suddenly we heard snickering in the background. it was her brother.
"What?"
"Oh, you look so funny! You can't dance at all!"
I sank low and felt the urge to slap him. Sara came to my rescue saying I could dance and and really well for a beginner too. But, he just kept laughing.
"No she can't and you know it...you're just saying that."
Sara rushed him into the next room and left me consumed in my depressive state. Was she lying to me? Nah, she wouldn't. But suddenly I was brought back to the reason why I stopped dancing. My own brother and I had danced at a party when suddenly I tripped. He helped me and we started once more. Unfortunately this kept happening, adn it wasn't becuse there was a wet spot on the floor or anything. Everyone at the party laughed and said I had two left feet. My brother even stifled a small one and I ran out crying like a baby. I later fell, not noticing where I was going and broke my leg, ruining the party and others to come. My brother realized his mistake and tried to appologize numerous times saying it was wrong and encouraging me to keep dancing--basically trying to be a good older brother--but I never listened and gave up.
That was a horrible day for me being humiliated in front of all my friends and seeing there laughing faces starinf down at me. It had gotten claustrophobic and everyway I turned they were laughing...at me. When I had turned to my brother for support I was only brought down further reakizing he was enjoying my pain just as much as them.
Sara came back in and appoligized for the interruption. She said she gave him a good talking to and had her parents grounf him, so he wouldn't be coming back for a while.
"Thanks Sara but I think I should go now."
"Why?"
"Well, I have to help my mom with dinner."
"Oh, okay, I'll tell my mom."
She left and dropped me off at my house alone in the rain. The truth was, my parents wouldn't be home until about eleven o'clock and I had lied trying to escape so my feeling wouldn't pour out into her lap. It made time pass so much quicker knowing I would have to go and only end up having a horrible time...

"Honey, your ride is here!" my mom called to me.
I inched my way to their car, dragging my feet behind me.
"Hi guys," I greeted them solemnly.
"Hi! Ah, come on, it'll be fine, you don't have to worry."
Somehow, they all knew. I looked at Sara who only smiled innocently and looked away. Great.
Huge strobe lights were placed on the ceiling and banners and steamers hung all around. We were he first ones there and could see clearly the work they out into it. Geez, it was only a freshman dance.
Suddenly everyone started showing up as if there was a designated time that we didn;t know about to arrive exactly on. It was 7pm and I wasn't looking forward to te next four hours.
My friends danced as I stood off to the side. People came up to me saying I looked fabulous. I felt fabulous on the outside but inside was a total mess. I guessed my dress reflected the lights and made me a shining star. I would be a shooting star if I moved, though.
Jared, my crush for three years walked by me casually and said a quick hello. I said hi back, bu I don't think he heard me. My friends were off doing there own things so I went over to get some food. As I reached for some ounch I saw Jared soming over. Probably to pick up Amanda who was standing right next to me. She had to be the prettiest girl in the whole grade whith hazel eyes and matching highlighted hair, supposedly natural.She was skinny and had an awesome "upper body", if you know what I mean. He walked over and stopped in front of me. I just contined pouring, waiting for him to talk so I could witness this event.
"Ahem." He cleared his throat. He obviously didn't want me there so I turned away quickly with my head down.
"Wait, Catherine!" I heard my name. Who was that?
I spun around to see him running toward me. I must be dreaming, he must be following some girl behind me, I looked every which way and saw no one there. Oh...my...god!
"Hey," he panted."Why'd you take off? I was about to ask you something."
"Oh, sorry. I thought--nevermind."
"Yeah, what did you wanna ask me?"
I looked at me hopeeful, yet concealed so as not to scare and have my own hope put down.
"Would you like to dance with me?"
I couldn't believe it...me?
"You looked lonely so I wanted to ask, plus you look really great in that dress."
Oh, it was a semi-pity dance. Oh well, I take whatever I get and fly with it.
"Okay," I mumbled and we walked toward the dance floor. Suddenly I realized what exatl I had gotten myself into.
"Oh, wait, uh, I can't."
"Why?"
"um...I...uh..."
"Well if you can't think of an excuse I'm taking you. He gave me a benign smile. i absolutely loved his smile. It was to die for. I blushed.
"O-Okay."
And we walked out into the bright strobe lights covering the dance floor...

No comments: