Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Fear

I stared into the ocean. I watched my cousins and sisters ride the waves. I wanted to join them but, the ocean was my biggest fear. I was terrified that I would get tumbled and wouldn’t be able to breathe. I was a good swimmer but, I knew that the waves were more powerful than me. Once in a while I would go to the tip of the ocean and put my feet in and try to go farther but, every time a big wave came I would psyche out and run back to the beach. Every day while my sisters and cousins played in the ocean, I just sat on the beach alone playing with the sand. Some days I even made massive sand castles. I hated being alone playing by myself. That is the biggest reason my I wanted to get over my fear. My cousins and sisters told me day after day, “The Ocean is so much fun! The worst thing that could happen in that you get tumbled by a wave but, that won’t hurt.” I didn’t believe them; I thought that if I were to enter the ocean surely something bad was bound to happen. So I just sat on the sand and envied my cousins and sisters having fun. I knew in the back of my mind that sometime I had get over my fear.
I was the last week of summer. I was determined to go in those gnarly ocean waves. My cousins and sisters pulled right to the tip of the ocean. I could feel whitewash touching the tip of my toes. My heart was beating much faster than it usually does. I was so nervous my hands were sweating and my legs were shaking. I knew that I had to go in even though I was scared; I couldn’t leave the beach until I went in. I started a countdown in my mind, here we go………10…9…I don’t know if I can do this…8…7…6…5…4…were almost there…3… 2…1…BLAST OFF! I started to walk slowly into the water as I got farther and farther in, I began to run, then finally I dunked. It was refreshing and nothing like I have ever felt before. I let my body move with the water and enjoyed the flow. Out of the blue, an enormous wave crashed on top of me and I tumbled with the waves all the way to the shore. All of my cousins and sisters ran to me. They asked me if I was okay and that I was brave to go in the ocean. Just then I start laughing so hard I couldn’t stop. They all joined in. I told them how much fun I had and how I am never going to get out. I couldn’t believe that it was the end of the summer and I would have to wait all school year to go in again.
From that day forward I have always gone in the ocean, it has become one of my favorite places. Even when I get tumbled, I still enjoy it.

No comments: