Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Grandma's Apartment

Christmas break,
Spring break,
And summertime.
My whole family marches into the entrance hall.
I look forward
To observing what’s around;
Water aerobics in the pool,
Smiling people at the front desk,
And ladies at Ruby’s hair salon.
The smell of baked goods,
Enters my nose as I walk into the building.
The Chit Chat room
Is filled with elderly ladies,
Gossiping about the new janitor,
Who they think is cute.
Hearing their conversations make me laugh.
Then comes the elevator,
Which is the worst part;
Dark,
Gloomy,
Small,
Dimly lit.
I hear the loud creeks,
As it goes to the third floor where she lives.
It reminds me of some of the scary movies,
That I have seen in the past.
Especially the movie 1408,
Where the elevator represents suspense,
In the beginning.
After walking down the long hallway,
I reach her door.
As she opens it with a big smile on her face,
I feel reassured.
I see statues of angels,
A blue and white polka dot couch,
And sun entering the windows,
In the small living room.
The refrigerator is covered
With pictures of her grandkids,
Hung up by magnets of states where she has been.
There are always cookies on the kitchen table,
And the smell of a home cooked meal,
From last night.
Even at 90 years old,
She still makes the best food.
After the long and tiring adventure,
It feels so good reaching such a warm,
Cozy apartment,
Where I always will feel safe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great images

Bela said...

This is really great! I love the imagery that you portrayed through your descriptive language! It seems that you used every sense...was that the point? Anyways, I loved it and keep up the good work!

P.S. - Could this possibly be Emilie from Weston, CT?

Gina said...

Hi, I loved the imagery and the details of the people where your grandma lives, it made it so real to me. The whole atmosphere of the poem is cozy, except for the elevator thing- you could probably take out the very specific reference to the movie 1408. Other than that, great job, and I especially liked the part about the janitor. :D